We are family-owned and have been operating out of Gloucester, MA since 1944 and are pioneers in “party-boat” fishing and the whale watching industry. All our Yankee Fleet vessels are regularly inspected and our Captains licensed by the U.S. Coast Guard to insure the safety and comfort of our passengers.
If you have a question that we have not answered, please feel free to visit our contact information or call us at 855-5 GO-FISH(546-3474) or 800-WHALING.
Is a rod rental included in the price?
A rod rental is included in the price for Half day fishing, overnights and private charters.
For all day trips, Limited Capacity Tuesdays, and Marathon days, the rod rental is $7.00 extra. If you have your own rod, you are welcome to bring it on any trip!
What will we fish for?
We are targeting haddock, the current regulations allow 12 fish per person at 17 inches to be kept. The regulations for pollock are unlimited at 19 inches. You may also reel up some cusk, Hake, Redfish, Mackerel, Halibut, and other deep sea creatures! Unfortunately due to over fishing and climate change cod fish are not allowed to be kept this year.
What should I bring?
- The Yankee Fleet will provide all that you need. We can supply you with a rod and reel, along with bait and tackle as well.
- The crew will fillet each fish you catch for $1 per fish. You can also purchase a biodegradable burlap sack for $1 to keep your catch in, with some ice.
- You do not need to bring a cooler but are welcome to if you would like. We sell bags of ice in our ticket booth.
- There is a galley on board which includes snacks and drinks as well as some hot foods. The galley is cash only.
- Temperature on the water is usually 10-15 degrees cooler. We always suggest dressing in layers. Other suggestions are sunscreen and a hat.
Do I need a fishing license?
No, we acquire a license from the state that covers everyone on the boat.
How has the fishing been?
Please check our fishing reports for the most up-to-date info.
Where will we be fishing?
- Gloucester is a great fishing port located near multiple fishing grounds in the Gulf of Maine. We will be fishing in depths from 100-300 feet.
- The half day trips will travel about 5-10 miles
- The all day trips will travel about 12-20 miles
- The marathons (12 hour trips) are based on the captain discretion, where he thinks he can give you the best fishing for the extra time. Usually to similar or the same areas as our all day trips.
- Over nights are 60-80 miles into the Gulf of Maine.
What kind of fishing line should I use?
We use 50 lb test monofilament line on our fishing trips. Tangling issues will be minimized if everyone uses the same type of line. We will be fishing in anywhere from 100 to 300 feet of water.
50 lb. test monofilament recommended.
What kind of sinkers and tackle is used?
We use 16oz to 20oz sinkers. 12oz to 16oz jigs can be either purchased or rented on the boat. First sinker is included in the rod rental and $3 for any lost sinkers. Teasers are also available for sale on the boat.
How much does a fishing trip cost?
See ‘Deep Sea Fishing’ tab, and choose what type of trip you are interested in, or call our office at 978-283-0313.
What if it rains?
We will fish rain or shine, but there are factors that can contribute to a cancellation due to weather. High winds can mean big waves, but not always. If we feel conditions are unsafe to be on the water, we may cancel the trip and notify you with as much notice as possible. Unfortunately we cannot control the weather and we want to get out there to fish as much as you do. We cannot be responsible for any hotel reservations or other arrangements you have made to come on a fishing trip with us. If we cancel the trip, you will have the option for a refund or reschedule.
– As always you have 24 hours to cancel or reschedule on any day trips.
I have a group of about 20 or so friends interested in a fishing trip. Can you send me pricing info?
All our trips are great opportunities for friends to get together and spend the day having fun! We do have group rates for Half Day Fishing trips. We discourage large groups on our All Day fishing trips as it detracts from the trip for the other passengers. A better choice is a private charter, click here to view all the vessels we have available for private trips. These trips are private to your party and include the rod & reel rental. Call us for availability. Our office staff can help with planning!
Is there an age limit?
We have special rates for children under 12, and seniors over 60. Discretion is advised when bringing small children on the boat for long periods of time and we do not recommend bringing children under the age of 4 on any of our trips.
I would like to go Cod fishing. When is the best time to go?
NOAA has imposed cod fish regulation for the gulf of Maine. Basically, it is north of latitude 42 to the Canadian border. In 2017, we are running some overnight trips below the 42 line to keep cod. Please call or visit or Specials page for more information.
Where are you located?
Please see our directions to 1 Parker street Gloucester, MA
Is there parking available?
Yes! We have FREE parking available. Our parking lot is the first lot on your right as you pull onto Parker street.